Friday, November 16, 2012

Jake here-it has been way too long since I last posted and I'm sorry... but I've been way too busy having a great time here. For example: http://www.facebook.com/ice.monster.tw/photos_stream Imagine any of those deserts .... best deserts I've ever had-famous place in Taiwan. So yeah, basically I've been enjoying a lot of the food all over Taiwan, particularly in Taipei. I've been having a lot of traditional Taiwanese dishes like Stinky Tofu, Hot Pot (http://tinyurl.com/cwlpsg7), 包子-pronounced baozi (http://tinyurl.com/cxsu8eh), and 小籠包 (xiaolongbao) which are steamed dumplings filled with meat or veggies with soup. If you love food and ridiculous weather (it was 82 today in Taipei) you would love it here. I've been doing tons of work for my upcoming final along with my research into Chinese Medicine. I received acupuncture for the 4th time two weeks ago... it was underwhelming this time. I had received such relaxing treatments before, this one just kind of left me feeling the same. My research has revealed a few American and European studies that prove acupuncture's analgesic properties (it doesn't prevent pain but changes the way your brain interprets them... people can actually have surgery with nothing but acupuncture for anesthetic, really cool!), but I wasn't in particular pain beforehand, so it is no surprise I had no drastic aftereffects. 

I've picked up a lot from my meditation classes here which have been really informative if not heavy-handed with the Buddhist undertones. I feel like a lot of people out West (used to include me) say that they buy into Buddhist philosophies... and there are some really great ideas on forgiveness, impermanence and all that jazz... but don't think that because Buddhism has great ideas doesn't mean that a lot of its followers combine it with a lot of superstitious behavior that is usually associated with Daoism. 

Also-being in a foreign country provides a unique opportunity to get into habits you thought you didn't have the time or motivation to start at home. I think I've worked out more often this fall than the past two combined in preparation for wrestling season this year. Weird. Sorry it was so long since my last post, promise it won't take that long again.

No comments:

Post a Comment